Monday, August 22, 2005

Donations needed in Kibera

I hate making pitches for money, but I just found out that my friends at Kibera's Christ the King Church are in a desperate state. A dozen men raided the church last week. They beat the night watchman (he's OK, but he's probably going to have a limp for quite some time), stole anything of value, including all the computers, and ransacked the church compound, including the rectory. Christ the King is honestly trying to deal with human rights issues in the mud hut neighborhood. And the late, great Nicodemus K. Mutemi, a member of Christ the King parish, was my best buddy in Kibera, and I could not have done my work in the community without him. Like many parishes in poor neighborhoods, Christ the King has no endowment. So please join me in supporting the people of Christ the King in this time of need.

If you want to help, checks can be made out to the Maryknoll Mission Association of the Faithful. Christine Bodewes is an American lawyer working as a lay missionary on human rights issues in Kibera, so put her name on the memo line of the check. Send it to:

Finances
Maryknoll Mission Association of the Faithful
P. O. Box 307
Maryknoll, New York, 10545

Thanks!

No comments: